Google, the world’s largest search engine, is celebrating Nigeria on its Google Search with a special doodle as the country marks its 59 years of independence.
The doodle features the Nigerian green-white-green flag, with a picture of Aso Rock displayed in the background.
It’s Google’s way of wishing the country a happy Independence Day.
A click on the doodle opens up another page where very important facts about Nigeria and its history are displayed.
The Google doodle is used to celebrate special occasions and individuals around the world.
It has been used to celebrate many historic figures and events around the world.
Nigeria’s Independence Day from British colonial is celebrated annually on the first of October.
A bridge in eastern Taiwan collapsed on Tuesday, colliding with boats below and causing casualties, fire safety officials said.
An oil tanker truck that had been about to cross the bridge also fell to the ground.
The seriously injured driver was immediately rescued from the burning vehicle and sent to the hospital, according to the National Fire Agency.
The 21-year-old bridge, located in Nanfangao, a fishing port in Yilan County, collapsed at about 9.30 a.m. (0130 GMT).
So far about 10 people have been pulled from the water and are being treated in hospital, the agency said.
No deaths have been reported.
At least six people on fishing boats remain missing and underwater rescue teams are searching for survivors, the agency said.
Two rescuers from the coastguard were also injured and sent to a hospital, it added.
Most of the people reported injured so far were foreign guest workers from the Philippines and Indonesia, who had been staying on fishing boats to avoid Typhoon Mitag, which brought strong winds and torrential rain to the island late Monday and into Tuesday.
The storm had cleared and the sun was shining in Yilan when the bridge collapsed.
Witnesses interviewed by local broadcaster SET TV said they saw the bridge suddenly “free falling” to the ground.
Separately, at least 12 people were injured when Typhoon Mitag lashed Taiwan.
The Central Emergency Operation Centre (CEOC) said that most people were hurt by falling objects or were blown off motor scooters when the fast-moving typhoon skirted the island.
Part of the power grid was damaged, leaving 66,773 households without electricity, the CEOC said.
Almost 5,000 residents living in the mountains or flood-prone areas were evacuated.
Taiwan’s Central Weather Bureau lifted its typhoon and heavy rain warnings on Tuesday as Mitag continued to weaken.
It is expected to reach South Korea late Wednesday, the dpa news reported.
More than 100,000 people, both military and civilians Tuesday morning gathered at the historic Tian’anmen Square in Beijing to celebrate the 70th founding anniversary of the People’s Republic of China (PRC).
The “National Day” celebration was broadcast live locally and overseas both on television and internet streaming services. Locally, China Media Group (CMG), one of the country’s largest broadcasters transmitted the event live in 4K ultra-high-definition to 70 cinemas in more than 10 provincial-level regions across the country. Over 100 cameras and more than 200 microphones were set up to cover the celebrations, said CMG.
The event was graced by a fierce display of China’s latest military parade, the first of its kind since socialism. “The parade is meant to showcase China’s achievements in building its national defense and armed forces in the past 70 years, as well as the outcomes of recent reforms of the people’s armed forces,” Cai Zhijun, deputy head of the office of the leading group for the military parade said ahead of the event.
A formation of unmanned combat armaments takes part in the military parade
For the first time, China showcased to the world its H-6N, a home-made strategic bomber capable of air refueling and long-range strike. Also showcased in the parade was H-6K, a domestically-developed medium and long-range bomber among other advanced military hardware. A formation consisting of 16 new-type strategic nuclear missile launchers carrying Dongfeng-41 passed through Tian’anmen Square to grace the historic event. A total of 188 military attaches from 97 countries stationed in China were invited to witness the historic event.
For the first time, China showcased to the world its H-6N, a home-made strategic bomber capable of air refueling and long-range strike. Also showcased in the parade was H-6K, a domestically-developed medium and long-range bomber among other advanced military hardware.
President Xi Jinping remembered revolutionary forefathers and martyrs for their feats in pursuing national independence and liberation, a stronger and more prosperous country and the people’s well-being.
“We gathered here today for a grand rally to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the founding of the PRC,” said Xi, also general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission.
“Right at this moment, Chinese people of all ethnic groups and all the sons and daughters of the Chinese nation at home and abroad take pride in and give our best wishes to our great motherland with great joy,” he added.
A state heroes formation takes part in the celebrations of the 70th founding anniversary of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) in Beijing
Xi also general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission, extended warm National Day congratulations to Chinese people of all ethnic groups and all compatriots at home and abroad. He also expressed heartfelt gratitude to friends around the world for their caring for and support to China’s development.
For the first time in a National Day military parade, a formation of Chinese peacekeepers wearing UN peacekeepers’ blue berets and scarves was paraded. The peacekeepers in the formation were drawn from troops most of which have participated in UN peacekeeping missions in Liberia, Mali, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Lebanon, Sudan and South Sudan.China has dispatched over 40,000 personnel to 24 UN peacekeeping operations since 1990, with 13 Chinese peacekeepers sacrificing their lives in the frontline of operations.
Xi pledged that the country will stay on the path of peaceful development and pursue a mutually beneficial strategy of opening up.
“We will continue to work with people from all countries to push for jointly building a community with a shared future for humanity,” Xi said. President Xi stressed that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army and the People’s Armed Police Force should always preserve their nature, purpose and character as the forces of the people, resolutely safeguard China’s sovereignty, security, and development interests, and firmly uphold world peace.
President Cyril Ramaphosa has vowed to rebuild South Africans’ confidence in the economy, based not merely on hope or expectation of change, but on concrete things.
South Africans want concrete things that can make a difference in the economy and real actions that “move the needle,” the president said in his first weekly message “From the Desk of the President,” a new platform through which the president said, “I will discuss some of the issues that interest and concern South Africans, and talk about the work we are doing in government to tackle these issues.”
After a decade of low growth and deepening poverty, people are looking for signs of progress in tackling the many challenges confronting the country, the president said.
This year the economy will record growth lower than expected, with the government’s finances being stretched and several industries looking at retrenching workers, he said. South Africa’s GDP growth forecast for 2019 has been revised by the National Treasury to 1.5 percent, from an estimated 1.7 percent in 2018. “Much of the confidence that the country had 20 months ago has dissipated as the reality of the problems we face became clearer,” he added.
The important issue is that the government should move in a determined way to effect change while remaining irrevocably committed to rooting out state capture, corruption and malfeasance, Ramaphosa said. South Africans want to change the narrative of doubt to a narrative of opportunity not through clever spin, but through action, he added. As part of efforts to rebuild confidence, funds have been redirected to stimulate economic activity in areas where the majority of South Africans live, Ramaphosa said.
These include finance to support black commercial farmers, the revitalization of industrial parks in townships and the establishment of a Township Economy Fund.The government is also increasing the value of goods and services it procures from small business and cooperatives, Ramaphosa said.Much work is underway to improve the ease and reduce the cost of doing business, as are efforts to restructure state-owned enterprises and ensure that they perform better in meeting the country’s needs, the president said.
South Africa is taking firm action to grow the economy and create jobs, he said.Building on the stimulus and recovery plan, the government will finalize a clear economic growth strategy within the next few weeks, the president promised.”I am certain that with the active involvement of all sectors of society, this will be achieved,” Ramaphosa said.
The Lagos State Government has warned the concessionaires managing the Oko-Oba Abattoir to comply with the agreement reached with Government by ensuring that the facility is managed properly in accordance with a proper hygiene culture.
The Special Adviser to the Governor on Agriculture, Ms Abisola Olusanya who gave the warning on Monday when he went on tour of the abattoir noted that the warning became imperative in order to ensure that Lagosians consumed only wholesome meat from the abattoirs.
“We are very much concerned about the implication of consuming unwholesome meat. We cannot toil with the lives of over 21 million Lagosians and that is why as part of our pro-active measures, the State Government will not condone any act of uncleanliness and lawlessness in meat processing and delivery in the State”, she said.
The Special Adviser explained said that the vision of the Governor is to make Lagos a 21st century economy, adding that attention would therefore be given to all areas of the food supply chain with emphasis on the consumption of wholesome meat by the citizen.
She said that an abattoir should be clean and free of dirt as it is the standard practice in advanced countries, stressing that the state government is now encouraging private investment in the meat value chain with the licensing of more private investors to establish mechanised and semi-mechanised slaughtering and processing facilities in the State.
Olusanya noted that constant monitoring, compliance as well as enforcement will in turn prevent spread of diseases, promote data collection for planning, promote good animal welfare to make Lagos a safe place for all inhabitants by discouraging environmental pollution and health hazard.
She said government has decided to promote and benchmark its reforms against international best practices hence it is committed towards improving the conditions of abattoir, access control, waste management, sanitation and removal of illegal structures.
THE Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ) has — with immediate effect — banned all cash-in, cash-out and cash-back transactions, which were being used by dealers to extort members of the public of their hard-earned cash.
Further, the cash-in, cash-out and cash-back transactions, had become sources of price instability as traders would charge up to 60 percent if one was not making a cash transaction.
RBZ Director Financial Markets, National Payment Systems Mr Josephat Mutepfa yesterday said it had come to the attention of the central bank that some economic agents were “engaging in illegal activities abusing the cash-in, cash-out and cash-back facilities, thereby compromising the public interest objectives of national payment systems in the economy”.
“Notable activities include the buying and selling of cash through mobile money agents at high rates above the approved charges for cash-in and cash-out, with some economic agents not banking cash sales under the disguise of cash-back services,” said Mr Mutepfa.
“The charging of commissions outside the approved framework adversely affects the smooth operation of payment systems and have the negative effect of distorting pricing of goods and services.
“In view of the above, all mobile payment system providers and merchants are hereby directed to discontinue cash-in and cash-out with immediate effect. Furthermore, all economic agents are, with immediate effect, directed to discontinue cash-back facilities.”
He said banks, mobile payment system providers and other economic agents were reminded to ensure that the entire ecosystem operates within the confines of the law and enforce compliance.
An Econet official told The Herald yesterday that they were studying the ban. “I can confirm we received the directive and we are looking at it,” said the official.
NetOne CEO Mr Lazarus Muchenje and Telecel Zimbabwe CEO Mrs Angeline Vere, were not answering their mobile phones when contacted for comment last night.
Finance and Economic Development Minister Professor Mthuli Ncube told journalists after yesterday’s Cabinet briefing that the decision to ban cash-in, cash-out and cash-back transactions was motivated by the desire to reduce the burden on citizens who were needlessly losing value for their money.
“The feeling here was that on the cash-in, cash-out transactions, there was an implicit exchange rate that was applying because of the discounts that these agents were applying; discounts as high as 55 percent or 60 percent on RTGS balances.
“That’s what (brought) that directive from the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe. That is what it is trying to deal with, to make sure that it (discounts for cash) does not become yet another rate,” said Prof Ncube.
He said the country was going back to multiple exchange rates and the RBZ ban seeks to try “to close that gap”.
“Then over time, obviously cash in circulation will be increased; so we should expect that to happen,” said Prof Ncube.
Economist Mr Persistence Gwanyanya said the reaction by RBZ on the cash-in, and cash-out transactions “was ostensibly driven by the need to restore sanity in the financial services sector”.
“Given the RBZ’s primary duty to ensure price and financial services sector stability, the intervention of RBZ is unsurprising as our enterprising population was increasingly abusing the cash-in, cash-out facility by selling cash at exorbitant rates of up to 60 percent.
“However, what is more important is to understand the drivers of these unscrupulous behaviours for more effective policy intervention.
“We expected RBZ to concurrently increase the cash in the economy to recommended levels of 10 percent to 15 percent of money supply, which is also the desired level RBZ indicated in the recently announced Mid-Term Monetary Policy Review,” he said.
With the current money supply level of around $15 billion, cash in circulation should be between $1,5 and $2,25billion.
Presently, there is about $600 million cash in circulation, which Mr Gwanyanya said was “way lower than the required amounts”.
“Whilst it may appear obvious that RBZ should simply increase cash in circulation, the issue is a bit complicated as the leadership has already indicated that the bond notes and coins are on their way out, with new currency coming.
“So it’s illogical to increase the amount of money that is being phased out, which speaks to the need to expedite the new currency that was spoken about by the President himself,” said Mr Gwanyanya.